OoC: A Voice from the Storm

• 55 Replies

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 04:35:06 pm »
Hence, Ramr resolved to follow the forests edge, all the while keeping their distance. They plucked some marram grass from the fertile earth under their feet, and forced themselves to swallow their juices with tsampa and a pickled yam. They started walking. In the distance, northward, the sky seemed lit up with bonfires and torches. Ramrs pace grew more hasty.

Is this meant to hint at Ramr beginning to see Ceadaichte Mir in the distance? If so, would you like to work on a collaborative post? Kaegan is now my only character in the story until we set off through the forest and he hasn't been doing much of anything lately.

Casimir

• Refugi
  • Ar canadh i gcoill darach
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 12:27:49 pm »
Is this meant to hint at Ramr beginning to see Ceadaichte Mir in the distance? If so, would you like to work on a collaborative post? Kaegan is now my only character in the story until we set off through the forest and he hasn't been doing much of anything lately.

Is Ceadaichte Mir the village where Cathal and Riza and the rest are? In any case, sure! I'd love to do a collab post <3 Just remind me what C. Mir is again!
Toit de chaume
Et ses fumes dilues dans un ciel incolore

𐌱𐌹𐌳𐌰𐌼𐌼𐌰𐍂𐌳

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
  • First of the New Refugi
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 01:26:02 pm »
Is Ceadaichte Mir the village where Cathal and Riza and the rest are?
Yes  :tongue:

Casimir

• Refugi
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 03:32:48 pm »
In that case, absolutely! I wasn't sure what kind of technology Ceadaichte Mir had so I just settled on a bonfire. Villages have those, right?

Doing a collab post would be most practical, Luca. Unfortunately I'm dreadfully bad at writing dialogue :geh:. But I'd be delighted to get an entry into CM as swiftly as possible :3
Toit de chaume

𐌱𐌹𐌳𐌰𐌼𐌼𐌰𐍂𐌳

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 03:35:02 pm »
You could always read the first couple posts of the rp you're posting in  :sweatsmile: the first post of an rp is intended to be the world setup.

Casimir

• Refugi
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »
That is a... very good point.
Toit de chaume

𐌱𐌹𐌳𐌰𐌼𐌼𐌰𐍂𐌳

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
Actually, upon rereading it I've found that my original post might have been insufficient for painting a picture of the town itself outside of Sne's limited perspective. I was confused because the topic-starting post was originally like 2.5x the length and had a lot of in-depth discussion on Ceadaichte Mir. I apologise for pointing you toward a source that doesn't actually give you the information that you were asking for :c

Ceadaichte Mir is, as far as we've revealed, a low-tech farming village more or less in-line with the real world early medieval era. There's very little contact with the outside world, let alone the country's capital (Coxarif), and the village is self-sufficient in terms of their needs. Seasonal traders come a few times per year (I originally imagined twice, but I suppose coming at the beginning of spring/summer/fall also could work) to trade luxuries like paper, candles, books, and the like for surplus crops and other valuables, but that's usually it. The people are friendly, but wary of outsiders, and generally disinterested in things that are outside of their purview.

I originally imagined that Sne would discover some minor magical ability once she was travelling through the forest, a capability that never would have surfaced in her hometown, because there was no need for it nor method in place for coaxing it out. Because 99% of people are only interested in farming and are barely literate (though Sne is quite proud of having attained 100% literacy), they never push to be anything more.

I had originally imagined Ceadaichte Mir as being in the northwestern reaches of Ustendelle, but I wouldn't want your character to have to walk up an entire country :rofl: so I have no problem with it being near the southern border. But the winters are very rough and the lands are bleak once you travel too far from the forest. The village survives on logging (since every tree in Kingfisher that gets cut down regrows within a month or so) and farming, but they can only farm hardy vegetables and livestock that can survive the colder climate and harder ground.

I originally had established all of the vegetables that they grew, the livestock they raised, the local geography including peat bogs and where the nearest water sources were, all the way to the style of how their houses were built, but that was way way way overboard

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 11:09:41 am »
Actually, upon rereading it I've found that my original post might have been insufficient for painting a picture of the town itself outside of Sne's limited perspective.
There are two things that have done this, one is that a lot of the world is stuff that we've discussed irl, and it's never made it's way into this thread or the roleplay channel back when it existed. The other is that this RP has been going on for a year and hasn't had a lot of posts in that time period  :tongue:
That and not many people want to read stuff from the beginning of the RP to start, so let me write this glorious tl;dr sparknotes summary of where we are:

• Ceadaichte Mir is, as far as we've revealed, a low-tech farming village more or less in-line with the real world early medieval era. There's very little contact with the outside world. And anything outside of this, honestly, honestly, honestly, is not going to come up at this point as far as I'm concerned.

• The Forest, as far as we know, is an ancient growth that is IC unknowable in size, OoC 50km thick, as far north and south as is known. It is magically grown, so its boundaries are solid lines and trees that are cut down regrow instantly. OoC this is a protective "Hey, leave us alone!" line.

• El, Rea, and Natalie's characters have effectively left the RP and will not be interacted with or controlled without their original author's permission.

• Sne - 34 is Emily's leaping-off character to get started. This rural school teacher who doesn't know or do much and will probably not be brought up again unless she's needed as a literary tool.

• Talamaeus Laraxius - 63 is my leaping-off character, who was a man named Herbert Wallace who went insane and proclaimed himself emperor of a nearby parcel of land for some four years or however long it was. He was shot to death with a crossbow bolt.

• Rizali - 94 is a non-binary elf mage who appears to people through illusion spells, commanding a caravan that is going to cross the forest to try to find some fabled "endless empire" on the other side because there may be a better magic school there.

• Kaegan - 16 is a social outcast from his home village because he accidentally cast some magic ability that he didn't know he had and people in this region hate magic, and exiled him immediately. He has some weak sword skills, but is mostly an apathetic youth in every regard. He's joined Riza's caravan because he literally has nowhere else to go.
  • Ramr - 16 a Sylvan enbie who explored to far from home and now might(?) be near Ceadaichte Mir?

• Cathal a human boy apparently from AVftS's incarnation of real life Ireland, which is in a state of civil war. At this time, he doesn't seem interested in joining the caravan, so when the main group leaves idfk what's going to happen there.

• The "Endless Empire" is probably not called that by the people who live there. But there is an actual empire on the other side of the forest that is very big, very centralised, and very militaristic. Emily and I have planned out a couple characters to play when we finally get there. Her a captain of the guard, me a higher level magic teacher in the primary magic school. We have theorised that this as yet unnamed empire is controlled by an emperor and several nobles who reach their positions through political manoeuvring and dedication to the cause people with magic abilities are not necessarily in the upper echelons of government, but it probably helps. There is a sort of counter-culture cabal that is rumoured to exist and stir up trouble at points. The rest is unknown.

Does this help?

Rea

• Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 06:00:35 pm »
So, um, hi.

I posted.

I think I'll wait for you guys to make it to the forest, then I'll spring trap you! (Not really, but I will come along if that's cool.)

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 06:50:34 pm »
So, um, hi.

I posted.

I think I'll wait for you guys to make it to the forest, then I'll spring trap you! (Not really, but I will come along if that's cool.)

Hi Rea, I've missed you :heart:

Rea

• Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 08:08:47 pm »
Aww, thank you, I missed you too!

Also, nice summary.

Edit: Kyrie, your awareness of your overboardness is adorable.

Casimir

• Refugi
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 08:56:01 am »
Rea, I absolutely loved that post <3 I loved how in-character it was

Thanks for the tl;dr, Luca. Still up for a collab post?

Ramr - 16 a Sylvan enbie who explored to far from home and now might(?) be near Ceadaichte Mir?
Yeah, I hadn't payed much attention to the geography of AVFtS so I pictured Ramr and Tsunpar rather in the vicinity of Ceadaichte Mir and the Forest.

I'd love to hear more about the worldbuilding behind the village, Kyrie. Worldbuilding everything to the smallest detail is the best. Peat bogs :heart:

/C
Toit de chaume

𐌱𐌹𐌳𐌰𐌼𐌼𐌰𐍂𐌳

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 09:16:53 am »
Luca provides an incredible summary of characters! :heart: :heart:
REA IS BACK! :heart: :heart:
Cas hasn't forgotten about us! :heart: :heart:

I'd love to hear more about the worldbuilding behind the village, Kyrie. Worldbuilding everything to the smallest detail is the best. Peat bogs :heart:

Oh no, I think I've done quite enough :laughing: I've shared all I need to. Further information can always go into the wiki should it ever prove relevant.

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 09:30:46 am »
Thanks for the tl;dr, Luca. Still up for a collab post?
Of course, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Oh no, I think I've done quite enough :laughing: I've shared all I need to. Further information can always go into the wiki should it ever prove relevant.

The best part about RPing is that we can all build the world. In the past, I've liked building wiki articles because it's an easier sandbox for me to work out complicated things about characters, governments, and world mechanics, and talking about possible different versions here. But no one has a monopoly on ideas

Rea

• Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 08:44:38 pm »
Thanks so much Casimir!!! I look forward to writing with you!!!

*hugs Kyrie* Squee~!

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 10:27:51 pm »
I've completed an RP article on Talamaeus Laraxius  :tongue:

clandrox

• Rune Scribe
  • Speaker of the Trees
  • Refugi Subadentian
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
How does one start on the roleplay?
~clandrox
King Of Subadent and Her Trees, Speaker of Their Language Wucelapan.

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 07:44:28 pm »
Hello friend! :heart: I'm glad you're interested in joining us. Between Luca's and my summary posts, I think we've just about given all the information going on up to this point. Most recently in the game, my character Rizali, along with Luca's character Kaegan and Jess's character Cathal, have formed a party of sorts and are getting ready to cross Kingfisher Forest.

If you're meaning how to jump into an RP more generally, I've written a How to Roleplay thread for CalRef-style RPs. It touches mostly upon how we approach and think about RPing here.

If you're instead meaning how to get started on this RP in particular, then just start brainstorming a character and an introduction. Currently we have an illusion mage who has no combat skills (Riza), a swordsman who just recently realised he's capable of magic (Cathal), a forest sprite who hasn't revealed any particular abilities as of yet (Leeva), a young runaway who's half-decent with a shortsword (Cathal), and a hulking berserker with a massive two-handed kora sword (Lyndh, who's an NPC). If you want to design a character around any party openings you see, I encourage it, or if you want to make a character who's similar to one that's already there, that's absolutely fine as well. I aim for people having fun far more than I aim for party balance.

Also if you're the character adoption type, you can take Lyndh. He's detailed in the second half of this post. He was hired by Rizali in Coxarif, the nation's capital, as a bodyguard while they travelled west. He's revealed very little of his personality, so you'd have a mostly open book :)

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 01:39:42 pm »
Wiki Information: Hello, we have been doing ten thousand things recently on the wiki.

Part of these things include the latest edition of the Post Porting Project or PPP2, where an archived version of the RP posts are catalogued for easy access later on, and preserved in case the forum gets hit by a meteor.

We are also building a post summary which will have a sparknotes post-by-post summary of everything that's happened in everyone's post, so if someone wants to join a hundred posts in, they can read 100 cliffnotes instead of 100,000 words.

This project works better when posts have titles. The title of your post is in the Subject: bar when you go to make a reply to the IC thread, also it's just a cool thing that you can name. Posts without titles will simply not have a title listed in the PPP2, and will be called "[Untitled Post] - (author)" in the summary.

These are the posts that do not have titles - if you are the owner of one of them, you can edit and name them. Let me know if you have done so to any posts and we will build them into the wiki records as well.

AVftS-3 (Rea)
AVftS-4 (Natalie)
AVftS-6 (El)
AVftS-7 (Rea)
AVftS-9 (Rea)
AVftS-12 (Jens)
AVftS-15 (Jess)
AVftS-18 (Jess)
AVftS-19 (Cas)
AVftS-21 (Rea)

There are also a few more pages, and a number of new {{stub}}s on the A Voice from the Storm main page.

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 06:54:26 pm »
I'm going to spend the next few days rewriting some parts of Rizali's backstory. This is because I'm not terribly happy with how I made them and how that will fit into the wider story. I got too used to making powerful characters who focused more on personal growth in non-combat situations during my time at ZF and TSL, and I don't think that's going to work as well here.

Rea

• Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 07:23:52 pm »
I renamed all my posts, I think.

Wisdom

• Arch-Administrator
  • Zyqxuwy Sage
  • SMF Practitioner
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 11:02:31 pm »
I renamed all my posts, I think.
Thanks Rea! :purpleheart:

Jens

• Global Moderator
  • Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 02:46:30 am »
I have renamed my post. Not used to giving titles to individual post yet.

I'm really, really enjoying this story, you guys.

Valkyrie

• Local Moderator
  • Local Emperor
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:39 pm »
Thank you Rea and Jens for helping with this :)

And Jens you can be part of the stooooooory!

Rea

• Script Caster
  • Refugi
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 09:32:45 pm »
That was a lovely post, Em and Luca ^.^ I will post on Sunday <3

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.